We all know that we should drink plenty of water. But sometimes it’s good to remind ourselves why, before we look into the easy and practical ways to stay hydrated.
Drink water to:
- Stay hydrated
- Have more energy all day, without coffee!
- Have quicker digestion.
- Detoxify. Like actual scientific detoxification!
- Oh, and it helps you not die.
In other words, water is the bees knees. Most importantly though…it’s so easy.
In my experience, the easiest way to improve health, fitness and quality of life is to sleep deeper and longer, and to drink more water. Pretty much everyone would feel these changes, without having to make too many changes to their life.
“Oh but I’ve got kids?!” I hear… Well, so do I, and have just come out from a place of sleeping 2-3 hours each night. That made it even more important to make sure that my sleep was really good and I was doing the simple things well!
“So,” you ask, “how much water should I drinking?” The answer: Something! Anything!
But seriously, it’s amazing how many of us through a whole day without drinking any water, only drinking coffee or tea, and wonder why we feel like we need four cups of joe to get through the day.
Here at HEALTH we use a very simple formula to figuring out how much water you need. It’s all dependant on your weight. Which really is common sense. The bigger you are, the more food you need, the more water you need. To work out how much water you should be drinking, use the simple formula below:
- Bodyweight (kg) x 30 = daily water goal (ml) E.g I’m a handsome 83kg, so I should be targeting 2500ml of water a day.
“OK, what should I do to drink more water?”
I’m glad you asked. Here are my 3 tips to make it easy to stay hydrated:
- Write down how much you drink. Actually being aware helps you make better decisions. You don’t have to keep track for long. Just until you have a clear idea of where you are.
- Carry a bottle with you. Every time you see the bottle, it’s a cue to drink more water reducing the effort needed to drink. If you train at Health you’ll already have your very own BPA free water bottle – use it! (…other bottles are available).
- Aim to pee more. Every time you empty your bladder, it should be clear. This is another cue for you to drink more water, because you body has just gotten rid of some. When you get back to your desk, you beautiful Health bottle is there for you, so all you have to do is drink more.
You can use all manner of apps to track how much you are drinking or even use a spreadsheet to completely geek out. The simplest way is to know how much water your bottle holds, and then tot up the number of bottles of water you’ve drank by the end of the day.
That’s it. Have fun. Let me know if it works for you.
Malachi Dingis is a former sprinter, Sports Science graduate and family man with two little girls. He joined the Health coaching team in September 2016 and by applying the most important health principles in simple, mindful ways, he has been helping people achieve dramatic health and fitness transformations for over 5 years. More..
If you enjoyed this article check out our other blog on hydration